Tuesday, January 23, 2007

First Fair Isle

Finally! We have snow on the ground. Not so much that it's interfering with travel, but just enough so that it looks like January. Perfect.


Having said that, I would like one giant snow storm before Winter is over...the kind of storm that means that no one is going anywhere. The kind of storm (that hopefully hits after a productive trip to the grocery store) that shuts down the whole town for one solid day...no school, no work, lots of cocoa!!

Thoughts of snow made me think of hats and mittens and I decided to make Elliot a new set to match this year's red and black coat. This is my first Fair Isle attempt!


Very cool! At times I felt that I was completely tangled in the yarn, but I soon got the hang of it. This is the second project I've worked on lately that uses more than one color. The fist was last week's
penguin hat. I think I prefer the Fair Isle knitting with it's continuous pattern to the Intarsia color blocking. I'm glad that I've tackled both since it opens up new opportunities for varying my knitting. To teach myself these two techniques I relied heavily on my Knitting for Dummies book (by far the best present my mother-in-law ever got me) and this great site that has video tuturials that are very easy to understand.

I also finished one
bear sweater for the elementary school's Oktoberfest. (Yes, it's in October.)


I figured if I could make one sweater a week...minimum...I'd have 37 sweaters to sell at the craft table. Might as well give it a try, right? Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

1 comment:

kat's mosaic'd world said...

I think you're right about the sweaters. Just alittle bigger. Hannah has hers on her monkey. We don't have a Build A Bear- Bear. Just a monkey, dog and lion.
miss ya!