Thursday, March 29, 2007

Demented and Sad, but Social...

Guess where I'm going tomorrow night???!!! Go ahead. Guess.

I'm going to see The Yarn Harlot!!! In person! Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, writer and knitter extraordinaire is going to be in Pittsburgh at Joseph-Beth Booksellers on the South Side. I have forced, uh, convinced, some ladies from my knitting circle to go with me to the book-signing tomorrow evening. I'm sooo excited!! I plan to take my camera and two of her books that I currently own. I suppose I'm nearly obligated to buy the new book, don't you think? Wonder if I'll be in any of the pictures on her blog. What should I wear? Should I take knitting with me? What should I say? Should I get a picture of us together? Where does one draw the line between admiring fan and crazy stalker? (Then again, it is the South Side, and "crazy" is a relative term.) Will my new-found friends disown me? Stay tuned for more up-to-the-minute information...

In other news...

Claire got her hair cut today! It's been a long, long time since it was last cut. Here are some before and after pictures in this slide show. She looks like such a fashion plate. Don't know where that girl got her great hair.



I always kind of laugh at the people on TV who get their hair cut on some make-over show and cry, but I have to say, when April (my knitting group leader) started cutting I felt a bit light-headed and sad. Don't know why. Claire didn't mind at all! April did a great job. Leave it to a knitter to really give a great precision cut.


Claire is donating her hair to Locks of Love, a charity that collects hair to make hairpieces for children who suffer from long-term hair loss. Most of the children have lost their hair due to alopecia areata, a disease which has no known cause or cure. I'm very proud of Claire for her willingness to share her lovely locks!

4 comments:

Keith H. McIlwain said...

Your kids are so cute.

Anonymous said...

I think she gets her good hair from me. How brave that she could cut that much off at one time. I couldn't do it.

Randy Roda said...

I think knitting is cool because I have watched people do it so effortlessly. I wish I knew how. By the way...how do you put up with Keith? I guess knitting must help.

Sheila said...

Wow! Love Claire's new haircut! It's SO short, though! Wasn't she nervous losing all her hair at once? I can see why you felt dizzy! I'd feel the same way if my daughter went through a big change like that! Claire's new haircut looks so cute! It's just so short! She must have been nervous! The back looks really short in the pictures! Claire is one brave girl!Is she going to grow it out and donate her hair again or leave it short?