Thursday, May 11, 2006

About socks...

I have a question for all you sock knitters out there. Do your socks ever look as nicely shaped as the ones in yarn catalogs and pattern books? (see photo at left). Mine (see photo below)always look fantastic on feet, but really sloppy otherwise. It's almost like they're too big. I thought that maybe I am a loose knitter, but I checked the gauge and it is spot on. The pattern requires 64 stitches on size 3 needles for yarn with a gauge of 7 stitches per inch. That's what I've got! So, is it just one of those things? Like the photographs in recipe books that look so wonderful and even though your recipe tastes fantastic it looks a bit...thrown together? I know there are photographers that go to painful lengths to make that food look good. Are there non-knitters out there making knit items look picture perfect? And is this fair to the average knitter? Knitters of the world...SPEAK OUT!

3 comments:

Anny said...

I know mine don't look like the photos. I suspect no one elses' do either that's why everyone posts pictures of themselves 'wearing' their socks!!! I always find they look less sloppy once they've been washed and dried. I saw sock blockers somewhere once... that's probably what they use for those marketing sock shots.

I say just wear'em ;0)

Brett Probert said...

Mine look exactly like the photos. In fact, those catalogues and magazines often ask to take photos of my socks to use in their publications.

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested